Devona "Dee" Stock Obituary

Devona "Dee" C Stock

September 2, 1917 - April 14, 2013
Born in Naff (Raft River), Idaho
Resided in Kaysville, UT
  • Contat Us
  • Guestbook
  • Photos
  • Services
  • Flowers


Dee Stock

Kaysville – Dee Stock has had a life like no other we have learned about so far. She was born in Raft River, Idaho to Julius and Sarah Christensen. Their family was homesteading and ran the store and post office in town. She was the 4th of 6 children. She grew up in Payette, Idaho and graduated high school there. I asked her what her favorite subjects were and she said "Well, I failed Home Ec in sewing. Then I learned how to make puddings and got a passing grade." She played violin in the band and orchestra, and still played until a few years ago. She was also an athlete, playing volleyball, basketball and running track.

On New Year's Eve during her senior year, she went to a dance with a date. She thought he was a good guy; she had been out with him before. He ended up getting drunk, and a "knight in shining armor" rescued her and took her home. His name was Bill Stock. From that point on, she never dated anyone else and they were married 6 months later in June of 1936

Bill was in construction and he went wherever he could find work. Dee, of course, went with him. They lived all over Oregon, Idaho, Washington and Alaska. They lived in tents, cabins, motels, anything they could find. After years of travel and the birth of their 2 children, the family finally found their home in Alaska. The traveled 13 days by car over muddy roads and trails to Anchorage. She was ready to kill her husband, but he lived through it. They lived in a K-D hut for 2 years with no plumbing and no electricity or water and of course, no phone. They were definitely out in the "Frontier".

In 1953 they built a real home in Soldonta, Alaska, out in the middle of nowhere. They had 5 or 6 moose living in their back yard during the winter as well as a few bears. They endured those long Alaskan nights, which improved after they got electricity. They also lived through the Alaskan earthquake in 1964. It was a very relaxing lifestyle. They had a few neighbors every 2 or 3 miles. They started a Primary for the children and a dinner group for the adults. Eventually that turned into a branch of the LDS Church. They met in a bar, and before church they had to empty the ashtrays and throw out the whiskey bottles. Soon the men got together and built a community hall and the church meetings were moved there. Although Bill was not a member of the church, he always supported Dee and went to church with her. When their grandson was preparing for baptism, Bill said "you might as well get me a suit to." Grandpa and grandson were baptized in a rubber tub in a basement.

Dee worked after her children got older. She ran a waffle shop, a steak house and a bowling alley and a grocery store. She even tended bar if they needed her. They spent over 50 wonderful years in Alaska. Dee was one of the first members to go through the Anchorage Temple. Bill died in 1990, after 55 years of marriage, 2 children, 7 grandchildren and lots of great and great-great –grandchildren. Dee found it lonesome in Alaska and left her son and his family in Wasilla and moved to Utah to be with her daughter in Roy. She moved to Apple Tree last December recuperating from a broken hip. She loved the people there and hated the food. We love you Dee.

A visitation will be held at Myers Ogden Mortuary, 845 Washington Blvd. on Saturday, April 20, 2013 from 3 to 5 p.m. Graveside services will be held on Monday, April 22, 2013 at 1p.m. in Payette, Idaho.




Myers Mortuary - Ogden
100 Monroe Blvd.
Ogden, UT US 84404
April 20, 2013
3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Payette Riverside Cemetery
Payette, ID US
April 22, 2013
1:00 PM
April 22, 2013
1:00 PM